Two inspirations behind this personal challenge. My husband is job searching and I really shouldn't be buying any new books when I already own plenty to read, plus the library. Second, I keep looking at stacks of books by my bed, thinking I'll get around to them soon. The three at the bottom of the stack have been there a year-and-a-half! I have other books on shelves that I've owned for ten years, but haven't read. I want to take down my TBR pile in 2015!
A couple rules for myself:
1. E-books and physical books I pay for count against me as buying a book, obviously, but not if someone else gives them to me as a gift. (Who in their right mind would turn down free books?)
2. Library books do not count against me, but must be two year or older publications I've been meaning to read.
3. Newer books I get for free (from publishers or as prizes) do not count against me. I must still take advantage of great offers from publishers. But I will limit these big time.
4. Wishlist answers from paperbackswap do not count against me. They are all TBRs, some on the list for years now, and the credits I have are already paid for through previous trades.
5. Every book I already own counts as an option.
6. The challenge begins January 1st.
If I make it for any length of time, then the blog will be a mishmash of older publications, but maybe there will be something you all missed previously? Nothing like going back and finding a gem. I think I've set myself up with a fun little challenge to start the New Year. Anyone is welcome to try it as well. Maybe if I like it and work out some bugs, it'll become "a thing."
Anyone else determined to take down their TBR pile this year?
Any other rules I should apply to my challenge?